Welcome to the CIDL Circulation (check-out) desk! Here you will find the details regarding our policies and procedures for the many things that happen at the CIDL Circulation Desk. We are located to the left as you walk through the front gate. All library items are checked out and checked in with us. Books on hold can be picked up, and any book donations may be left on the donation carts to the left of the circulation desk. Please take the time to read through the circulation policies so you may understand your library privileges and responsibilities. If you have any questions or comments, please contact any of our library staff. Thank you.
- You must present your library card, driver's license, or picture ID in order to borrow items
- A replacement card must be obtained if your card is lost or stolen
- Any changes of address, telephone number, email address, should be reported to ensure the accuracy of your account
- You are responsible for all items checked out on your account, including items checked out for others
- A receipt will be issued at the time of checkout indicating a due date for borrowed items. Please retain your receipt
- CIDL uses an Automatic Renewal system so you keep your items longer. All items will automatically renew up to two times, provided your account is in good standing (fines less than $10) unless another patron places that item on hold
Get a Library Card
It's easy to get a card at CIDL! If you're a resident, student or employee of Clarkston or Independence Township, you're eligible for a library card!
If you don't have a card, and want to apply, click here
- Residents of Independence Township or The City of the Village of Clarkston can present photo ID with name and address.
- If photo ID does not contain a current address, please bring a supporting document such as a utility bill, lease/rental agreement or vehicle registration
- Clarkston school students can present their student ID or current report card, along with proof of address
- Those employed in Independence Township can present a recent paystub to prove employment
Of course, your library card grants you access to our vast collection of CDs, DVDs, Books, Audiobooks, puppets and more, but did you also know that your card works...
- Online, through Overdrive/Libby, Hoopla, RB Digital, and Kanopy. check out our eLibrary tab at the top of the page!
- With databases, access all our databases and other resources through the research tab at the top of the page
- At most TLN libraries, TLN is a library cooperative serving 65 libraries
- Any library participating in the MiLibrary program
Frequently Asked Questions
You will need to provide your library card and proof of residency when visiting another library. It is a good idea to call the library to see what they require from visiting patron members. Some libraries require a “Patron of Good Standing” form to be filled out by CIDL. There may be a limit to the number of items you can check out.
You must request a MiLibrary sticker from the check-out desk at CIDL before going to other participating libraries. You will be allowed 5 print materials at a time.
All library notifications are sent to your email address or by text to the phone number in your record. Any outstanding fines over $10 will prevent you from renewing or borrowing.
Our system will renew each item two times automatically as long as the item is not on “hold”. Items cannot be renewed if they have been placed on “hold” by another patron, or have reached a maximum renewal. Any outstanding fines over $10 will prevent you from renewing or borrowing. You are responsible for keeping track of all due dates.
Items may be renewed on-line by going to the library website at www.cidlibrary.org and accessing your library account with your library card number and PIN or by calling the Circulation Department at (248) 625-2212 and having your library card number. We cannot look up your account without your library card number. Please keep the number accessible.
When an item you need is checked out, you can place a “hold” on the item to reserve the next available checkout. Once the item is returned, you are notified that it is being held. Items are held at the Circulation Desk for 7 days.
To place a hold on an item that is currently checked out, locate the item in the Library Catalog then click on the “Request” button at the right side of the item description. You will need to enter your library card number and PIN to process the request.
For additional assistance regarding holds, contact the Information Desk who can place the hold for you.
You must have the library card with you if you are picking up a hold for another person.
Yes! The staff will run a report twice a day to retrieve requested items from the shelf and keep them at the Check Out desk for you.
Book drops are located outside of the building and inside the lobby of the library for your convenience.
In the event of the recovery and return of an item that has been paid for as a lost item, a refund may be issued for the cost of the item only. Processing and billing fees are not refundable.
To receive a refund, the item must be undamaged and returned to the Circulation Department within 30 days from the original payment date with a receipt. Items will be evaluated before a refund is granted.
Yes! If your home library is a member of TLN, or participates in the MiLibrary program (and you have the sticker on your card) you can use your card at CIDL as a visiting patron. All you will need to do is bring your home library card and picture ID, and we will put your home library card into our system!